As versatile as the English language is, we sometimes seek alternative expressions to expand our language and articulate our thoughts more precisely. Diving into the realm of synonyms for ‘wonderful’ opens up a treasure trove of options that can add variety and depth to our speech and writing.
What Is “Wonderful”?
The term “wonderful” is typically used to describe something that is inspiring joy, pleasure, or admiration; a thing that is remarkable or extraordinarily good.
List of Synonyms for Wonderful
Types of Synonyms for Wonderful
If what we’re describing brings joy or pleasure, we might opt for words like fabulous, fantastic, or terrific. Each of these suggests a high level of satisfaction or delight.
- Marvelous: Suggests something is worthy of wonder or awe.
- Excellent: Implies that something is of very high quality.
Magnitude of Impression
When the impact of something is profound or large in scale, stronger words could be the right choice.
- Astonishing: For things that surprise us in a positive way.
- Staggering: For something that overwhelms us with its grandeur or scale.
Quality and Admirability
Sometimes, we want to commend the admirable qualities of a person or thing. In such cases, we might use:
- Magnificent: Represents something grand or impressive in beauty or scale.
- Outstanding: Denotes that something stands out from the rest; is of a superior kind.
For aesthetic or sensory pleasure, some synonyms resonate more vividly.
- Stunning: Apt for something visually beautiful or impressive.
- Sublime: Suitable for expressing that something inspires awe or admiration through its beauty or grandeur.
Common Synonyms for Wonderful
Wonderful vs. Marvelous
Marvelous often suggests something that’s astonishingly good or of the highest quality, while wonderful may imply a delightful or pleasurable experience. To illustrate:
- “The marvelous performance earned a standing ovation.”
- “Our afternoon at the beach was wonderful; we really needed the relaxation.”
Wonderful vs. Amazing
Amazing generally refers to something that causes great surprise or wonder, possibly more intense than wonderful. Here’s how to use them:
- “Scaling the summit of the mountain was an amazing feat.”
- “The support from our community has been truly wonderful.”
Wonderful vs. Fantastic
Fantastic can describe something that’s almost fanciful or relating to fantasy, often used for emphasis. Wonderful has a more grounded feel. Compare these sentences:
- “The special effects in the movie were absolutely fantastic.”
- “Finding your lost ring in the garden must have been a wonderful surprise.”
Wonderful vs. Fabulous
Fabulous suggests a level of excellence or fabulousness that’s almost mythical, whereas wonderful feels more heartfelt or emotionally satisfying. Look at these examples:
- “They threw a fabulous party for the New Year, complete with fireworks.”
- “Hearing your voice after so long was a wonderful moment for me.”
Synonyms for Wonderful in Different Contexts
- Awesome: That new song is awesome, it’s been on repeat all day!
- Great: We had a great time at the beach yesterday.
- Amazing: The way she solved that problem was simply amazing.
- Marvelous: We attended a marvelous lecture on astrophysics last evening.
- Splendid: The charity event was a splendid affair, well-organized and joyful.
- Sublime: The ballet performance was absolutely sublime, leaving us speechless.
- Stupendous: Our team achieved a stupendous victory against the reigning champions.
Surprise and Astonishment
- Astonishing: The news of the discovery was astonishing to us all.
- Staggering: The sheer size of the ancient monument is staggering.
- Outstanding: She delivered an outstanding performance in the finals.
- Superb: The craftsmanship of this furniture is superb and of high quality.
Absolute and Near Synonyms of Wonderful
Absolute Synonyms for Wonderful
|Astonishing||Causing great surprise or wonder; amazing.|
|Marvelous||Causing great wonder; extraordinary.|
|Amazing||Causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing.|
|Stunning||Extremely impressive or attractive.|
|Wondrous||Inspiring a feeling of wonder or delight; marvelous.|
Near Synonyms for Wonderful
|Awesome||Extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration.|
|Fabulous||Extraordinary, especially extraordinarily large.|
|Terrific||Of great size, amount, or intensity.|
|Superb||Excellent; of the highest quality.|
|Phenomenal||Remarkable or exceptional, especially exceptionally good.|
|Magnificent||Impressively beautiful, elaborate, or extravagant; striking.|
|Incredible||Impossible to believe.|
|Enjoyable||(Of an activity or occasion) giving delight or pleasure.|
|Pleasant||Giving a sense of happy satisfaction or enjoyment.|
|Remarkable||Worthy of attention; striking.|
Synonyms for Wonderful with Examples | Infographic
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some alternative words for ‘wonderful’?
We can use terms like ‘marvelous,’ ‘remarkable,’ ‘stunning,’ and ‘fantastic’ as alternatives to ‘wonderful’ when we want to describe something that fills us with awe or admiration.
How can I describe something better than ‘wonderful’?
To describe something even more impressive than ‘wonderful,’ we might opt for words like ‘spectacular,’ ‘extraordinary,’ or ‘phenomenal.’ These convey a level of exceptional quality or experience.
What are five words similar to ‘amazing’?
Five words that bear a close resemblance to ‘amazing’ are ‘astonishing,’ ‘astounding,’ ‘awesome,’ ‘breathtaking,’ and ‘incredible.’
Can you provide a synonym for both ‘great’ and ‘wonderful’?
A word that serves as a synonym for both ‘great’ and ‘wonderful’ is ‘magnificent.’ It captures the high quality and enjoyment associated with both terms.
What’s another way to say ‘wonderful things’?
Another way to express ‘wonderful things’ is to refer to them as ‘marvels’ or ‘delights.’ These nouns embody the concept of objects or experiences that bring joy and wonder.
What’s a friendly slang term that means ‘wonderful’?
A casual, friendly slang term that means ‘wonderful’ is ‘awesome.’ It’s commonly used in everyday conversation to express enthusiasm and approval.
- Intersex Meaning: What Does the Term “Intersex” Actually Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Woke Meaning: What Does the Slang Term “Woke” Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Evil Eye Meaning | What Does the Term “Evil Eye” Mean? - June 4, 2023