The phrase “woot woot” is one that you may hear used in conversation or online communication, but you will rarely encounter it in formal writing. Here you will find the meaning of the phrase “woot woot” and the information regarding its origin. You will also see some examples of how to properly use the phrase in conversations/statements and you will also find some other ways you can say this phrase while still conveying the same meaning.
Woot Woot Meaning
The meaning of the phrase “woot woot” is an expression that is typically inserted at the end of a comment to show a person’s excitement or happiness concerning the subject being discussed.
Origin of this interesting idiomatic expression
Although many alternative suggestions exist regarding the origin of the idiom “woot woot,” the actual origin is traced back to the British word woot. In Britain, people that are fans and participants in extreme sporting use the word woot as an abbreviate form of saying “what a hoot” and have done so for decades before the phrase reaching popularity in America. It was not until 1996 when the phrase was used in a popular rap song, that the term “woot woot” became widely used. As popularity grew, “woot woot” became the popular response to show excitement in many forms of online communications.
In MMORPG video gaming the phrase was changed by players to “woot woot,” spelled with double 0’s. Today, both forms of this phrase are acceptable and popular on the Internet.
“Woot Woot” Examples
A statement made to a news reporter interviewing Black Friday shoppers.
- “It is so worth it to be out here shopping right now. You just cannot beat these deals. I just got a top of the line laptop for $200! Woot Woot!”
A statement made by the quarterback of the football team after winning the homecoming game.
- “This was the hardest game all season and WE WON! Woot Woot!”
A conversation between two friends at school.
- Friend 1: Did you try out for the cheerleading squad this year?
- Friend 2: Of course, you knew that though because you were there too.
- Friend 1: I know! I am just so excited about getting to see the final roster! Woot Woot!
A conversation between two co-workers talking on lunch break.
- Co-worker 1: My vacation is in a week!
- Co-worker 2: I need to consider taking a vacation myself.
- Co-worker 1: Yes, you should. I know I am going to thoroughly enjoy mine! Woot Woot!
Other Ways to Say “Woot Woot”
Like most phrases, there are alternative ways to say the phrase “woot woot” and express the same meaning. Other ways you can say this phrase include:
- I can’t wait!
- I am so excited!