There are words we use every day, several times a day. In other words, while still interesting and very necessary, just don’t get used that much, for some reason. In this article, we are going to take a look at a list of 50 words that begin with A with meanings and example sentences.
Words that Begin with A
The words in this list begin with the “smile letter” – the letter A. It is called that because, in order to say it well, a person is almost forced to put a nice big smile on their face. Perhaps a better nickname would the feel-good letter since smiling is known to release all sorts of chemicals that lighten your spirits. We can start here, calling A the feel-good letter.
Below is a list of some of the most common words that start with A, the feel-good letter. Now, don’t forget to smile when you say the “long” A’s! (You can even smile when you aren’t saying them! We won’t tell!)
Words that Begin with A with Their Meanings and Examples
- Meaning: (VERB ) To connect more than one of something in order to cause the increase.
- Example: Take one walnut, add three pistachios, and you will have four nuts in total.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A span of time considered to be how long a person has lived. Measured from the time of birth to the present. / (VERB) To grow older
- Example: The children average seven years of age.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A sense of wonder or deep appreciation
- Example: I’ve always held musicians in awe.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A large, tailless primate
- Example: The male ape defends his females from other males.
- Meaning: (NOUN) An outlet for skillful creativity.
- Example: They are transfigured by the healing powers of art.
- Meaning: (VERB) To question
- Example: Ask a silly question and you’ll get a silly answer.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Tool with a rectangular blade for chopping wood.
- Example: She cleaved his skull with an axe.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Capable of something
- Example: Journalists will be able to preview the exhibition tomorrow.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Dull pain
- Example: She felt an ache in her back.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Sister of a person’s father or mother
- Example: My aunt always takes her rest at nine.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Not near
- Example: Blue are the hills that are far away.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Located in a more elevated space
- Example: There is no wealth above the wealth of health.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Repeating at least once.
- Example: Time past cannot be called back again.
- Meaning: (VERB) To take in and make part of a family.
- Example: The national assembly has voted to adopt the budget.
- Meaning: (VERB) To Adjust to changes
- Example: You should adapt yourself to the new class.
- Meaning: (VERB) To love, sometimes to the point of worship
- Example: I simply adore the way your hair is done!
- Meaning: (ADVERB) The same
- Example: The twins look alike, but they differ in temperament.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Warning sound
- Example: The alarm frightened the thief away.
- Meaning: (VERB) Stop sleeping
- Example: School should awaken a child’s natural curiosity.
- Meaning: (NOUN) The fourth month
- Example: April is the cruelest month.
- Meaning: (NOUN) The eighth month
- Example: Troops invaded on August 9th that year.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Not dead
- Example: Doctors kept the baby alive for six weeks.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) With no one else
- Example: They are never alone accompanied by noble thoughts.
- Meaning: (VERB) Put in jail
- Example: A policeman has the power to arrest a criminal.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Passionately indignant
- Example: The dog was angry and bellicosely bristled up.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Joint just above the foot
- Example: She’s going to need an operation on her ankle.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) In between the best and the worst
- Example: The average salary is correlated with the length of education.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Covering used when cooking
- Example: She tied an apron around her waist.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Totally
- Example: I was absolutely staggered when I saw the bill.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Time of the year after Summer
- Example: The book is scheduled for publication in the autumn.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Place where airplanes land and pick up passengers
- Example: The government expropriated the land for an airport.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Person who pretends to be someone or something they aren’t
- Example: He is internationally famous as a character actor.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Not present
- Example: Love was totally absent from his childhood.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Involving movement
- Example: Powell was declared unfit for active service.
- Meaning: (VERB) To show a great deal of approval or respect for
- Example: He stepped back to admire the painting.
- Meaning: (NOUN) The path in which people walk in the store
- Example: Would you like an aisle seat or would you prefer to be by the window?
- Meaning: (NOUN) A plan. Often kept secret.
- Example: There were several important items on the agenda.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Nearly.
- Example: I almost made the team.
- Meaning: (ADVERB) Every time.
- Example: Men’s characters are not always written on their foreheads.
- Meaning: (VERB) Cause to laugh or feel like laughing
- Example: He made funny faces to amuse the children.
- Meaning: (VERB) Reply to question
- Example: The teacher couldn’t answer the philosophical problem.
- Meaning🙁 VERB) Take as is
- Example: The circumstances forced me to accept.
- Meaning: (PRONOUN) Whatever person
- Example: Does anyone here speak Japanese?
- Meaning: (NOUN) North pole
- Example: Have any fish been contaminated in the Arctic Ocean?
- Meaning: (VERB) Verbally disagree
- Example: Why do you argue against me?
- Meaning: (VERB) Decide without facts
- Example: Many daughters assume that their mothers are invulnerable.
- Meaning: (VERB) Put in jail
- Example: A policeman has the authority to arrest lawbreakers.
- Meaning: (NOUN) One who uses art as a creative outlet
- Example: This is clearly the work of a superior artist.
- Meaning: (VERB) Give to do
- Example: Later in the year, she’ll assign them research papers.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A statement kept of behavior or transactions
- Example: They had $96,000 in their escrow account.
Words That Begin With A | Infographic
Last Updated on January 31, 2023