There are words we use every day, several times a day. In other words, while still interesting and very necessary, just don’t get used that much, for some reason. In this lesson, we will show you a list of 50 common words that begin with C with meanings and useful example sentences.
Words That Begin With C
Whether you’re saying CAT, CHANCE, or CEASE, there’s one thing about the letter “C” you can count on. It’s a very adaptable letter. No, no, not adoptable. You won’t be taking it home and putting booties on it. It’s adaptable. The “C” sound changes a lot, making sure words have what they need. Hmm…do you suppose it could change into a million dollars and give us what we need? Just a thought. Even if a million dollars is out, we still have…
Words That Begin With C with Meanings and Examples
- Meaning: (NOUN) Container
- Example: Put the jars back in the case.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Money
- Example: The store will discount 5% for cash payment.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Vehicles used for travel
- Example: There is room for no more than three cars.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Vegetable that grows on stalks.
- Example: In good years corn is hay, in ill years straw is corn.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Edge of the sidewalk
- Example: The boy sat on the curb and watched the cars go by.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Three-dimensional square
- Example: She sucked an ice cube into her mouth, and crunched it loudly.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Attractive in a youthful or innocent way.
- Example: He’s got a really cute baby brother.
- Meaning: (VERB) Short, informal discussion
- Example: He often keeps aloof when we chat together.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Rather small, stiff piece of paper with pictures or identification printed on it
- Example: The wild card in the picture is eastern Europe.
- Meaning: (VERB) Restrain
- Example: Don’t you think it’s cruel to cage a creature up?
- Meaning: (NOUN) Extra attention or responsibility
- Example: Cross with care at the traffic lights.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A wheeled container that is pushed or pulled.
- Example: The cart was charged to the full.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Feline.
- Example: There are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Hollow carved in mountain or rock
- Example: We took shelter from the rain in a cave.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A small piece of something, usually relatively small and thin.
- Example: She bought potato chips.
- Meaning: (VERB) Make something again, so it looks exactly like the first product. Duplicate.
- Example: Leon tried to copy off Mike’s test.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Amount needed to purchase a product
- Example: The cost given is only approximate.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) When a situation or thing causes feelings of comfort, intimacy, or contentment.
- Example: The room glowed cozy and warm in the firelight.
- Meaning: (NOUN) What a ship carries in its hold.
- Example: The ship was carrying a lot of cargo.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Place to pitch a tent or park a trailer
- Example: Stealthily we approached the enemy’s camp.
- Meaning: (VERB) Stop
- Example: Cease to struggle and you cease to live.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Magnetism that attracts others almost against their will
- Example: The house retains much of its original charm.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A series of interlocking metal loops
- Example: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Soft material used to draw or color
- Example: He sopped up the ink with chalk.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A seat, place to sit.
- Example: She shifted uncomfortably in her chair.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Totally wild randomness
- Example: The country was plunged into economic chaos.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A young human
- Example: Every mother thinks her child beautiful.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Regular job, usually at home. Also a grueling occupation
- Example: Don’t turn reading into a chore for your kids.
- Meaning: (VERB) Restrict air flow to
- Example: You mustn’t choke up so far on the bat.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Vapor that appears in the sky
- Example: The plane disappeared behind a cloud.
- Meaning: (VERB) To make a sharp, short noise
- Example: He reached in to click off the lights so the children would go to sleep.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A tool for telling time
- Example: We worked round the clock to finish the job.
- Meaning: (VERB) To scale. To move from a lower position to a higher position.
- Example: To make more money, John would have to climb the corporate ladder.
- Meaning: (NOUN) The temperature and other weather-related factors of a given place.
- Example: There has been a gradual change in the climate.
- Meaning: (VERB) Change the hue or shade
- Example: Susan chose to color her hair before her vacation.
- Meaning: (VERB) To make something from nothing
- Example: You can create something more glorious than the championship.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Opportunity to have good fortune
- Example: The gambler took a chance.
- Meaning: (VERB) To alter
- Example: The leopard cannot change its spots.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Group of students
- Example: His uncontrolled behavior disturbed the entire class.
- Meaning: (NOUN) One of the local government’s divisions of land
- Example: It is sad to see a county confine its activities to undignified public bickering.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Place where trials are held
- Example: Are you prepared to repeat these allegations in court?
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Having the trait of snapping when it is broken
- Example: The duck should have crispy skin, which is accomplished through air drying.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Insane. Not rational.
- Example: The neighbors must think we’re crazy.
- Meaning: (ADJECTIVE) Smooth, slippery
- Example: Beat the ingredients together to a creamy consistency.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Very small piece, as of bread.
- Example: Mix bread crumb ingredients together in a small baking pan.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Many people bunched together
- Example: He managed to squeeze through the crowd at last.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A bend or turn with a slowly sloping angle.
- Example: The car came around the curve in the road.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Cloth covering that hangs over the window
- Example: She bought some cloth to make a curtain.
- Meaning: (NOUN) Competitor who wins over everyone else.
- Example: He marked his debut by beating the champion.
- Meaning: (NOUN) A food—usually dessert or candy—made from the seeds of the cacao.
- Example: Which flavor do you want – chocolate or vanilla?
Words That Begin With C | Infographic
Learn more with a list of thousands of C words in English.