Are you looking for the meaning of wrapped around your finger? You have come to the right place, here you will find the definition of this useful idiom with its origin, example conversations, and ESL image.
Wrapped Around Your Finger
Wrapped Around Your Finger Meaning
The idiom “wrapped around your finger” means that someone has control, power, and influence over someone else and is able to dictate what they do. It should be stated that the term does not imply demanded dominance over another. The person that is wrapped around your finger does the things they do for you when asked because of devotion or affection, not because they are demanded to.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The idiomatic phrase “wrapped around your finger” was first used in the figurative meaning stated above in 1743. The meaning derived from the act of sewing where women would wrap the excess thread around their finger to store it until it needed to be used a short time later for the purpose they intended it to be used.
“Wrapped Around Your Finger” Examples
- Since we have met I have been wrapped around your finger and would do anything for you.
- I love being wrapped around your finger because I know you are wrapped around mine too.
A conversation between father and son.
- Father: Are things still going well with Penny?
- Son: Of course! She is great!
- Father: Still have her wrapped around your finger huh?
- Son: I wouldn’t say that.
- Father: I would. It’s plain to see that girl is head over heels for you.
A discussion between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: I think you have the new secretary wrapped around your finger.
- Co-worker 2: Why do you think that?
- Co-worker 1: She takes her time doing things for all of us but when you ask her to do something she is right on top of it.
- Co-worker 2: Well, that may be so but it’s not my intention.
Alternatives to “Wrapped Around Your Finger”
There are several alternative words that you can use instead of the idiom “wrapped around your finger” that mean the same thing. Some of the words you could use in its place include: