What does WYM mean? Learn how and when to use the internet slang word “WYM” with ESL infographic and interesting texting conversations in English.
What Does WYM Mean?
WYM stands for “What you mean?”
“What you mean” is often used in messages between friends and on social media platforms. The text abbreviation expands to, “What you mean?”
Although “What do you mean?” is grammatically correct, internet users often shorten expressions and drop certain parts of speech as if they were speaking. Native speakers of English will often ask, “Watchu mean?” as a way of asking for clarification on something. Some will add in the “D” to make the correct version of “WDYM?”
This expression can be used by anyone and usually comes about when one party doesn’t understand the other.
- Texter 1: My life is over!
- Texter 2: Really? WYM?
In this instance, the meaning is close to “Tell me more.”
- Texter 1: So I’m going to need to get that thing from you later. When are you free?
- Texter 2: I don’t know WYM. What thing?
Here, “WYM” is not in a question form, but it has the same meaning. Texter 2 doesn’t know what texter 1 is talking about.
Social media post: People keep saying they don’t get my favorite TV show but they never try to watch it. #WYM
This example shows the internet slang term being used as a hashtag. People can search for it and find similar posts where users are wondering why people don’t understand something or are looking for more information.
- What You Mean
- Was You and Me
- Watch Your Mouth
- Would You Mind?
- Waymar Resources, Ltd.
- Wake Your Mind
- Website for Young Marines
WYM Meaning Infographic
Other Ways to Say WYM
“What You Mean” Synonyms List
- What do you mean?
- What does that mean?
- What are you saying?
- What does it mean?
- What it means?
- What that means?
- What do you intend?
“What you mean” Synonyms with Examples
What do you mean?
- What do you mean, I’ve got enough money? I’m as broke as you are.
What does that mean?
- What does that mean? I would emphasise three criteria.
What are you saying?
- What are you saying? Be careful Whinny does not supplant you!
What does it mean?
- What does it mean if you have been there for 20 years and feel you are thrown on the scrapheap?
What it means
- If you don’t know what it means, look it up in the dictionary.
What that means
- I explain what that means in the final paragraph of this section.
What do you intend?
- What do you intend to sent to your pen-friend this Spring Festival?