What does the term Yippee Ki-Yay mean? Electronic communication, in all its forms, has become an important part of nearly everyone’s daily life. Accompanying this form of communication, there has been the invention of new slang, acronyms, and abbreviations. One of the new slang terms being used today in electronic communication is “yippee ki yay.”
Here you will find the meaning of this term and the information available regarding its origin. You will also find other meanings of the word if any exist and examples of the term used properly in conversation. Finally, you will see suggestions of other terms you can use to convey the same meaning.
Yippee Ki-Yay Meaning
What Does Yippee Ki-Yay Mean?
The internet slang term “yippee ki-yay” means a shout of excitement or enthusiasm.
Origin of Yippee Ki-Yay
Parts of the term “yippee ki-yay” date back to the 15th century to the word yawp, meaning a yell. The term in its entirety was not used until the 1930s when the musical artist Bing Crosby recorded the song I’m An Old Cowhand. In the song, the term was used to say that this was a sound that cowboys made while rounding up cows on the range. The term gained popularity when it was used in the movie Die Hard and has been used ever since.
There are no other meanings of this phrase mentioned on the internet about this term.
A text exchange between two friends about going to see a new movie:
- Friend 1: Did you see the new Avengers movie that just came out?
- Friend 2: No, I didn’t get a chance to see it this weekend. Did you see it?
- Friend 1: Yes! It is awesome! You will love it!
- Friend 2: I am going to go and see it this weekend for sure.
- Friend 1: I will go with you if you want. I would love to see it again!
- Friend 2: Yippee ki-yay! That sounds like a plan!
An online chat between two players engaged in an online game:
- Player 1: I finally beat that big boss last night.
- Player 2: Yippee ki-yay! You will have to tell me how you did it so I can beat him when I get there.
Alternatives to “Yippee Ki-Yay”
There are several other ways you could say “yippee ki-yay” to still convey the same meaning. Some of the other things you could say instead include:
- I am so excited!
Yippee Ki-Yay Meaning Infographic