The phrase you are what you eat is a common one which is used within the English language but what is the meaning behind this term? We are going to take a look at not only the meaning but also the history of the term and where it came from. We will also look at some examples of how the phrase can be used in a conversation.
You Are What You Eat
You Are What You Eat Meaning
You are what you eat is a term which means that a person becomes related to the food that they ingest.
Origin of this interesting saying
The term you are what you eat originally comes from the 1900s in the English language, however, the phrase was used in German and French over a hundred years before this.
“You Are What You Eat” Examples
Examples in Sentences
Let’s now take a look at some examples of statements in which the term you are what you eat might appear.
The first is a statement being made by a mother to her teenage son.
- You are going to become ill if you keep eating so much pizza, you are what you eat after all.
The next example sentence is being said in a blog post.
- The group of people did not pay attention to the advice, you are what you eat because all of them developed conditions related to overeating.
You are likely to see the term you are what you eat being used in a variety of different conversations, but what might this look like? We will now take a look at some examples of how this might sound.
The first conversation is happening between two friends.
- Person 1: “I have been so tired lately.”
- Person 2: “How is your lifestyle?”
- Person 1: “Not great, I’ve been working a lot and eating mostly fast food.”
- Person 2: “Well, it’s not surprise you don’t feel well, you are what you eat.”
This next conversation is taking place between two people who work in a diner.
- Person 1: “I have put on so much weight since working here.”
- Person 2: “It’s probably because you keep eating all the free food on offer which is all unhealthy.”
- Person 1: “I guess you are what you eat.”
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
You might like to express the term you are what you eat by using different terminology.
Here are some ways in which you might do this.
- What you put in, you will get out
- We are what we eat
You Are What You Eat | Picture
Last Updated on March 28, 2020