Your vs. you’re! Have you ever been in a situation where you correct someone who’s constantly making the same annoying mistake in writing but at some point, you also make the same mistake yourself? Unfortunately, this is something that can happen even to the best of us. One pair of words that can be a tricky one is your vs. you’re. Of course, they are different, and this mistake might even seem childish to some people. However, it doesn’t mean that you don’t need to be very careful when using one of these words in a sentence.
Your vs. You’re
- You need to change your eating habits.
- If you fail, don’t forget to learn your lesson.
- I don’t think you’re being entirely truthful.
- You’re never too old to learn.
When to Use Your vs. You’re
You can use your when you are asking someone about whether something belongs to them. e.g. “Is this your pen?”. Another example would be complimenting or commenting on someone’s appearance or achievements, like saying. “Your exam results are very impressive”.
As for you’re, it has the same uses as you are, with the difference that it only fits in informal writing. You can use it to describe someone, e.g. “You’re very tall”, or to form a Present Continuous form with a verb, e.g. “You’re running to catch the bus”.
In order to never have any worries about whether you’re using the correct word, always ask yourself if you can replace the word in question with “you are”. If you can and your writing is informal, then you should go for you’re. If you are doesn’t fit, then the correct option would be to use your.
Your vs. You’re Examples
- Your sister is trying to read, please be quiet for her sake.
- Please put up your hand if you have any questions.
- Don’t expend all your time on such a useless job.
- You have the option of taking your holiday early.
- Don’t park your car on a busy thoroughfare.
- If you’re very hungry, you can eat like a horse.
- If you’re rude to me, I shall retaliate with equal rudeness.
- You’re very helpful in preparing my manuscript.
- By failing to prepare, you’re preparing to fail.
- You’re one of the five best solitaire players in the world.
Difference between Your and You’re | Picture
Your vs. You’re: What’s the Difference?
Last Updated on March 16, 2021